Friday 28 June 2013

May 2013: particle accelerator

I have no idea why I started using nuclear physics as a theme for my titles in this blog; it's becoming increasingly difficult to find suitable titles. Case in point: I used the word "particle" because it has "art" in it. I mean come on, really?

Anyway.
I had, once again, reduced, reused and recycled the game down. I'd started doing the artwork for the cards and quickly remembered that my illustrative skills suck. I tried finding images that fitted what I wanted, which I would then outline and modify using g.i.m.p. and then delete the initial layer. For individual images the results were ok, but the process was very time consuming. In addition, there was no consistency amongst the resulting images and no discernible style except "lack of". So, I enlisted the help of a friend, artist and graphic designer. Maybe I'll name and shame him next month, but for now let's call him C.

I told C about the game and gave him some card titles and taglines. Soon after, he sent me some sketches of ideas for them. Before this point I thought that I was clear in my mind about the style that I was after and the type of illustrations that would work. C's sketches blew all of that out of the water.
He had absolutely nailed the spirit of the game and produced some illustrations and ideas that I would never have thought of.

Many skype sessions and emails later, we had several finished cards of different types as templates for the rest of the game.
I was well chuffed, as they say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment