Wednesday 26 June 2013

March 2013: uncontrolled fission

So, the decks had been cleared. I had reduced the ideas down to one game with simplified rules and gameplay. I found an excellent program called nandeck; it required learning a markup script but I've used LaTex before, so it wasn't too much of a big deal. I didn't even start trying to make a deck using open office or libre office or their proprietary equivalents; I think that office suites are better at templates now but as the old saying goes: frustration, thy name is wysiwyg. Anyway, I had the text elements (title, tagline and rule) for about 50 cards and things were looking good. I was focused on just one game and the game was progressing well.Because things were going so smoothly, and I had a game with mechanics that I thought were workable, each time I thought of a genre, I would start creating the textual elements for cards in that genre. I soon ended up with a lot of good starts to games, but none near completion. Hence, the game that I was supposed to be working on found itself marginalised in favour of it's spinoffs. Much like certain movie and tv show franchises today. Ahem.

No comments:

Post a Comment